Welcome:

As you read this blog you will walk week by week with Elder Traasdahl as he takes one step at a time to teach the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ and testify that in addition to the Bible, The Book of Mormon is a Second Witness of Christ. Enjoy the journey of this LDS missionary through his first hand experience and through the eyes of his family and his twin missionary brother.


Monday, November 26, 2012

One of my Most Memorable Experiences Thus Far

Okay dokay mates! This week was by far one of those "highlight" weeks of the mission. First off I got a letter from the one and only P.T. Cruizin (his twin). I love getting those because it's cool to see both of our experiences as we are trying to figure this out. Second, I went on two exchanges. One with my boy Elder Wray with a 'W' and one with Elder Wilson. My Samoan brotha. It was way fun.

Thanksgiving was awesome this year! Throughout the day I kept thinking about all the things I would be doing at home like picking up the turkey from the Chaffees with Dad, teaching my boys a lesson on how to play ball as we would play the annual turkey bowl, come home and watch the Macy's Day parade, go to Grandmas' and chill with all the fam and laugh at all the jokes and smiles flying around, and then coming home to a fantastic nap followed by watching the featured football game. This year was a little different. I woke up and read the scriptures. Haha and then I played in the Timberline Ward Turkey Bowl. Funny story about that. There's this kid named Chase in my ward who is a priest and this kid has some freakazoid athletic skillz. 

We're good friends and for a couple weeks leading up to the big event we were talking some mad trash to each other. Like the just playing around- having-fun-type-of-smack-talk. Anyways our stake president, President McClure, is in my ward and he had over heard a little bit of the smack talk and trying to protect his missionary but also Chase's ego at the same time he said we couldn't be on the same team. Haha so the Zone leaders called us on Thanksgiving eve and are all 'Uhhh Elder Traasdahl, ummm we heard that you were getting into it with some kid in your ward and we can't let you play tomorrow..."  I was like 'oh my good to the ness'. These guys... Anyways I called Pres. McClure cause I had to get to the bottom of it and that's where the permission to play on the same team came.  Chase and I tore it up. It was soo fun. I loved it. Go ahead and tell ASU to have that scholarship waiting for me when I get back because yo boy here juked out some high priests and scored a touch down on the primary kids all in the same game. No big deal ya'll!  

For lunch we went to Bishop Hanks house. There's nothing better than a table/counter/and extra table full of thanksgiving food! It was sweet.  I really enjoyed it. Oh and just to paint a little better picture of my companion.. After we shared a message he asked the bishop's daughter who was visiting from BYU if he could take a picture of her toes. Haha I was like oh my good to the ness again!  She had her toes painted as pokemon balls so that's why but yup that's my fav comp Elder D!! 

Okay and for the big news of the email....... KATHLEEN WAS BAPTIZED! First one in the field! It was so awesome! I'll try to run down the experience but right off the bat I'm just going to say there is no way words will ever describe the feelings-- that are even close. Her baptism was at 1:00 pm on Saturday, just a few days ago. We arrived at the stake center at 11:00 am to prep for the baptism and to start to fill up the font. Okay so I was pretty excited all morning until like 12:15 p.m.  I changed into my white clothes and had Wilson hold up his hands and I started to work the bag. Jab jab hook cross jab cross hook uppercut! Dunso. I kept pacing around and ya know how when the football game is about to begin they usually play a song to get you siked? Well, I kinda had the same experience but I had the song "I believe in Christ" jammin in my head.

Okay then the baptism begins and we opened with a prayer and song and then Elder D. gave a great talk about baptism. Then it was game time. Everyone stood in front of the font and Kathleen and I practiced the routine for a little bit because she was really anxious. Time came to get in the font and take our positions. It was the most incredible feeling standing there with her holding my left arm and my right arm raised to the square as I proceeded with the actual baptism. After I said Amen she did exactly what she needed to, she plugged her nose, bent her legs, and let me help her down and then up. But one thing. Her leg flipped up into the air and so we had to do it again. After the second time she came out of the water and I kid you not she was not the same person that went underneath the water. I'm dead serious about that too. 

She came up and had a straight face, obviously worried that we might have to do it again but once she realized that was it and she was now baptized she had a beautiful smile that took up her whole face. She just kept smiling and smiling. She went up to change and I had a second to look at the reflection of the glass window that keeps the water from spilling out. I saw this guy dressed all in white with the happiest look on his face. I then unplugged the font and went to change. I saw the mirror and saw that same joyful kid again and I took a second to really think about what happened. I realized the smile that I had didn't even come close to portraying how happy I felt inside and thought, 'this is what it is all about'. Like I said I can't describe the feeling but I'd imagine it'd be a combination of scoring the winning touchdown in the BCS national championship game after 3 OT's combined with having the person you've loved your whole life has the same feelings for you combined with the feeling that someone you really want to be proud of you is more than just proud of you but is proud to know you. Times that by 1234879 with knowing that those examples stunk, but that is probably what it feels like. I am soooooo glad I had the opportunity to participate in Kathleen's life in this way because I learned so much from it. She really is such an incredible lady and I'm excited to keep in touch with her and have that friendship last! OH MY GOOD TO THE NESS FOR THE THIRD TIME, IT WAS ONE OF MY MOST MEMORABLE EXPERIENCES THUS FAR IN MY LIFE!" 

I'm pumped for all the boys who get the chance to be a part in someone's life in this way. As far as the rest of the week went it was pretty busy. Oh and there is this girl in a ward that I am covering who I went to EFY with and apparently I have a picture with her on FB.  Haha yeah I didn't really recognize her but it was cool discovering that! I love you Traasdahl family!  Let me know if I can do anything/help out in any way for ya!
Elder Tyler Traasdahl

No comments:

Post a Comment