Talofaaa! (That's hello in either Samoan or Tongan- I can't remember)
Okay so to begin I just want to state that this was the most amazing week of the mission so far! There were so many little and big miracles that have occured just within the last 7 days that my journal has taken quite the beating. Well I'll start with my companion, Elder DeBruyn. He's suchhhh a stud. He's 21 months out and has served as a ZL for a majority of his mission. He's from California, super funny guy. Extremely hard working which has been amazing because so many things come from working hard. Hmmm-- go figure. I'll try to send some pics so you can see him. I know he is just the right guy for this area because there is so much potential and all we need to do is show our faith and work and tap into that.
There's a cool analogy in Preach My Gospel on page 152 that talks about how long our "line" is in the water each day meaning we can say we went fishing for 12 hours a day but with those 12 hours we can actually be fishing with our line in the water for ten of those hours or we can only have our line in the water for about two hours. However long the line was in the water the fisherman is still able to say he "went fishing". But we resolved that we are going to be the missionaries who have our lines in the water for 10 hours. I just re-read what I wrote about that and realized I didn't do a very good job at explaining the whole concept but read that for family night or something because there's a great principle there.
Okay so funny stories. On Wednesday we went tracting in a apartment complex and came across a family that welcomed us in really warmly. Upon entering the house I gave the whole confident "these guys don’t even know what's about to hit them" knuckle bumps because it seemed like they were one of those golden families that were waiting for us for their entire lives by the way they welcomed us in. And then we understood what was actually going down. Right after we introduced ourselves the dad named Philip, about 35 started talking about how he had a revelation and then he went crazy cray and said he felt like he needed to offer a prayer so he placed his palms on both of our chests and began "praying" super loud and obnoxiously and it didn't help that his wife was egging him on by yelling "oh praise the lord" "Jesus Jesus Jesus" and like sayings. So after seriously 8 minutes of that (I timed it) he took his hands off and then began telling us more of his revelation and how he went to Galilee last year... and then encouraged us to drink olive oil and get drunk off of the spirit. So essentially after 16 minutes we just walked out. It was sooooo unusual. And then later on in the week I had a rake shaken or shooken in my face (I don't know the past tense version of "to shake", maybe shooked? haha idk never mind) by some old guy who definitely had something happen to him in the past concerning missionaries and it must have been real bad because he took it to the point where he chased me for literally the length of two houses. Good thing I have 24 gears on my bike cause Gramps was movin! We tracted into a kid named Jake who we are now teaching and we also helped a REALLY less active part member family move in and we are actually teaching them tonight. Last night I talked on how to prepare for missionary service at a stake youth devotional. I talked about having a desire to serve and how that desire comes as we begin to increase our understanding of the Atonement of Jesus Christ. And that idea comes form pg two in PMG. I gave the experience of Enos and explained why a desire to serve is a result of growth in our faith. It went well and afterwards. President McClure told Elder DeBruyn and I a lot of things that we can accomplish and are responsible to accomplish given our really good companionship so although that was fulfilling to hear, it was also pretty big "eeeeeeeeek!" moment because we have expectations now and they are not so little.
Braden I read your email man and am amazed at how well you write for being 11. Haha like I read what I write and then compare it to you and realize I'm going to be taking some lessons from you when I get back. Aust yo there are some really pretty girls up here so say the word and ya'll ready know I've got your information on business cards ready to hand out. Sorry b-dog you're still a little too young. Haha Mom and Dad I hope life is going great with you two! Mom, you'd be proud of me upon hearing that I helped out in the flower arrangement making process of the flowers that were shown at stake conference yesterday. Sister Yen was surprised at how well I did and I gave you a shout out. Dad. You're just a boss. Literally and "slangly". I hope Parker's doing good with the dog's. That really bites for him. Get my pun right there? Haha and as far as dogs go here I've made friends with all of them and out of the 245 I've come across there was only one hostile so I'm pretty good on that front.
We have to go help a member of our ward's friend move today so that's a bummer considering it's P-day but how long is my line in the water? Long enough to give up my beloved P-day to help a guy move. Oh geez. Mom, I read what you said about President Bunker talking about Grandpa and I can only imagine how many people feel that way. It's great to have tremendously studly examples like him and Grandpa Ellsworth and Dad and Austin and all the Uncles as people who work out each day who they want to be which is in parallel with who God wants them to be. It's such a huge help having those! I'm doing great, no homesickness although I do miss home and you guys. I'm just excited to work my bootytooty off for the next little while and then share all these experiences and friendships with you guys when I do get home. Is there any updates on the friends leaving on their missions and where they're going? Oh and sorry I didn't include captions of the pics I didn't really have time. I am doing awesome. I love this work!
Spiritual thought. Something that my MTC teacher Bro Elton shared with me as I was talking with him about whether a prompting was just me or the spirit. He said "Elder Traasdahl. You give yourself way to much credit thinking it was your own brain." I thought that was a cool way of putting it because I'm beginning to realize if we're doing what we need to be doing, if we're becoming the people that we are meant and have the privilege of becoming, if we're constantly trying to bring ourselves close to Christ, it won't matter if the prompting was the Spirit or just our thoughts because if we act on it, the result that God wants to come from it will occur --whatever, the source is. It's just a constant reminder to me of who I am and what my purpose is and how blessed I am to be serving the lord and growing incredible amounts along the way. It's only been about 4 weeks that I've left the MTC but I have learned so much and have grown soo much. It's exciting to watch yourself become who you know you need to become and that's kind of what my experience is right now and I'm so grateful for it! I love you all! I'm a missionary and we're all about commitments. So. My challenge to you is this. Make a new friend this week. Whether it's a person on the light rail or a kid who people don't really talk to at school, make a friend. You are the best family in the world and I pray everyday to my Father in Heaven in gratitude for you guys!
love,
Elder T Traasdahl
This is the Quote referenced above:
Evaluate how long your “line” is in the water each day.
“None of us should be like the fisherman who thinks he has been fishing all day when in reality he has spent most of his time getting to and from the water, eating lunch, and fussing with his equipment. Fishing success is related to how long you have your line in the water, not to how long you are away from the apartment. Some fishermen are away from home for twelve hours and have their line in the water for ten hours. Other fishermen are away from home for twelve hours and have their line in the water for only two hours. This last type may wonder why they do not have the same success as others.
“The same principle applies to missionaries, whom the Master called ‘fishers of men.’ A missionary’s line should drop into the fishing water the moment he or she leaves the apartment” (Dallin H. Oaks)
No comments:
Post a Comment