Heyyyyyo!! My kin!!
Okay soo lots and lots to share with you and about 25 minutes to do so, let's begin. Alright well, today I'm going to start with something that I found out this last week that has never even come close to crossing my mind in the past. This is the art of handshaking. And yeah I just called it an "art" because it is an art. So my entire life I thought knowing how to handshake was just a given but this last week I was proven wrong over and over again. It started with a couple handshakes that happened at night. I'm not even kidding you when I say this but we just finished teaching a lesson and I went to give the person a departing handshake.
First try: Swing and a miss.
2nd try: Foul tip as the person managed to clip my thumb.
3rd Go: The most incredibly awkward handshake I have ever experienced in my life. So it's safe to say that I struck out.
It was like I was holding on to a dead fish and shaking it until it's fins flew off. It was so bad. I had shivers running down my back for the next 15 minutes. And then there's the "polite woman" handshake that I was not aware of where apparently I'm supposed to just shake their fingers. Weird. And then there's the whole "not being on the same page" handshake where I was going for the Bro-grip-bap-tap-spirit fingers-pound-it and the other person was going for the bump-and-slap it technique. That deserves a captial AWKWARD TO THE MAX. So as it stands I'm slowly learning this new art and so far I've had a rough start. But okay moving on.
Parker looks like he's having a blast. I hope his headaches and health are favorable. Each week I'm looking to see a little extra fluff on his cheeks seeing as how he is getting that "soul food" food, but i'm still not seeing it. Okay another cool thing that happened this week was at out ward halloween party the BYU women's rugby team showed up because they just played CSU. So we were able to take a picture with them and I hope you notice as you see the pic that I am the furthest one away from the girls because (you'll be proud of me mom) your boy's heart is locked with about 48 pad locks, 23 laser detector sensors, and 16 blue nose pit bull watch dogs. That all came from reading a talk called Becoming a Consecrated Missionary by Tad R. Callister. That thing PUMPED me up.
This week Elder DeBruyn and I met with a lot of members and read Alma 13:24 and talked about that scripture and how it applies to everybody. It talks about angels preparing the hearts of the children of men and so we took that and talked about how the Lord places people in our paths that only we as an individual can touch. These people's hearts are being prepared and we need to recognize and truly understand that those people are in our lives because we can have a huge influence on the outcome of their life depending on if we have the courage the open our mouths. A lot of families seemed to enjoy the pep rally so we'll work with them some more and try to get things going so they can have those amazing experiences in their lives like we did with our besties the Dolenar’s. Oh real quick this morning I was reading in Jeremiah 16:16 about the fishers and hunters of men and so my new thing which has helped my out a ton is realizing that I am a spiritual hunter. haha it's kind of fun to think about and it helps out with all the rejecting by thinking, "Ya, those guys were DEFINITELY not who I was supposed to hunt today." Thinking about it that way helps me push and until I do find the one or the however many there are that I can help out and talk to that given day.
It's so fun to see the people's faces bright up and their eye's light up when they understand for themselves the reality of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It's like when a little child get's the one thing they've been wanting all year but couldn't get until Christmas. All of that time and all of those feelings build up sometimes without them even knowing it until they all just explode in happiness as they open that gift. It's awesome to be a part of.
Oh and my health is awesome. I'm working out and feeling awesome!
Real quick. It snowed this week pretty good. I was in a middle of a lesson with an investigator named Kendra and I saw the flakes falling outside. As the lesson went on my excitement grew pretty substantial until the point where right when it was over I ran outside and started running around aimlessly just loving it. Then we hopped on our bikes and went to another appointment and for the first five minutes or so of the ride I was the happiest kid on earth with all the snow coming down but as I realized it was fecthin cold and the snow flakes kinda hurt when they smacked me in the face with the 490 mph wind I just had one thought in my mind. "Ah, this bites." haha it was like night and day the difference. I love you guys so much and pray for you every morning and night! Let me know if i can do anything for any of you! Seriously. You guys rock.
P.S. I forgot a funny story. So we went to dinner with a family in our ward and they have two daughters 4 and 2. I swear the wife was pregnant with another one. So..... I made the mistake of asking the dad about the kids and their ages and when I realized there was a two year gap from the last child and when I realized she looked like 5 months pregnant, I put two and two together and asked if he was excited for the one on the way... ya and I thought the handshakes were awkward.. He kinda said "NO" really offendedly? if that's a word -- and the rest of the dinner was pretty bad. She didn't hear me ask that so if he loves her he won't bring it up but it was pretty bad. Anyways have a great week, love ya!
Elder Traasdahl aka Elder Got That Can't Stop Won't Stop In My Veins!
No comments:
Post a Comment