Welcome:

As you read this blog you will walk week by week with Elder Traasdahl as he takes one step at a time to teach the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ and testify that in addition to the Bible, The Book of Mormon is a Second Witness of Christ. Enjoy the journey of this LDS missionary through his first hand experience and through the eyes of his family and his twin missionary brother.


Thursday, May 15, 2014

Nov. 4, 2013 ~ "You're knocking on MY door?"



I can not believe it's already November!   I hope you all had a happy happy halloween.  Ours was pretty good.  We had to go in early so we had some funny experiences handing out candy.  Probably the best was watching the parent's face twist and contort into expressions of confusion when they saw two Mormon missionaries on the inside.  Haha we would open the door and say something to the effect of "well now isn't this ironic. You're knocking on MY door." Haha it was an pretty effective way of tracting to have hoards of people in families come up and knocking on our door. Pretty funny but anyways it's good to hear that you're all busy fam!

I've come to realize that there is tons of power in the individual, that we all have tons of potential to be super super productive people.  This last week was wonderful as well.  I learned some very valuable lessons that will help me out from the here on out.  Elder Fleming and I have the largest zone in the mission with 28 missionaries.  With this many missionaries and with the stake and mission wanting to revamp the perception of parker there has been lots of ministering and administrative needs to be addressed.  We've found ourselves working hard to address the needs of the missionaries and the needs of the paper work side of things and at the same time found ourselves not having as much time to proselyte as we wish we could.  In a MLC meeting this past week Prezzy Toombs and Prezzy Stacey both gave some remarks regarding our responsibilities in life:  the true master of leading is the same that understands his responsibilities and when he knows when to prioritize what responsibility when.  So right now I've realized that there are 3 responsibilities that I have.   1. my area  2. the administering and 3. the ministering to the missionaries.
 I've come to realize that I need to spend more time in my area so that I can be a better example and hopefully by so doing that'll be of more help to the missionaries than taking that time to sit down and address their needs.  Hopefully that made some sort of sense but it was a huge lesson I learned this past week.  

Also I've grown in my understanding what it means to love and what that love can do.  Moroni 8:16 "Behold I Moroni speak with boldness having authority from God for I fear not what man can do, for PERFECT LOVE CASTETH OUT ALL FEAR."  All of us have righteous desires to share the gospel and be a friend to others but the thing that gets in the way is fear which is the fruit of doubt.  We fear that we might lose friendships, we fear rejection, we doubt ourselves and our ability to stand as witnesses of Christ.  I've learned that when we pray for and act to receive the type of love that overpowers our  fears, and in reality replaces them,  then we are wayy wayy happier because we are not holding back.  We share the gospel with our friends, we turn our gospel conversations into quality gospel conversations by sharing the same principles but adding how it's changed our lives and leaving an invitation.  It's super easy sharing the gospel with a tag on because people are already expecting it.  

This last week I really wanted to put myself in a member's shoes and share the gospel without the tag.  So we were sitting in the Sonic drive in waiting to get our Cherry Limeade's for lunch one day when Jorge rolls up.  He gave us our lunch and we began chit chatting.  Eventually I just asked him if he had a girlfriend, with the response of "no", which I was then able to talk about the young single adult programs of the church and YSA family home evenings and all that.  I was able to share how it benefits others and baddabing baddabooom baddabang Jorge is now meeting with Sister Brooks and Sister Green in the Crowfoot YSA ward, taking the discussions.  Looking back it was no biggie asking my man if he was captivated by a girlfriend or single and ready to mingle, it just kind of came up and I was able to invite him to act.
The gospel is sooooooo incredible!  And mom, props to you for having those conversations with your friends!  I would invite you fam to pray for those missionaries opportunities in your life and then watch for them because the Lord answers prayers.  Pray for the love to overcome any fears that you may have.  Fam, you're incredible, I am filled with gratitude and excitement each time I get to talk about you all!  Have a fantastic week.
Much love from Parker Nation!


Elder Traasdahl


   Almost like Camping but missionary style.

 Of course he found a new friend...

No comments:

Post a Comment