Anyways, training is still going good. Elder Wengreen is still struggling with wanting to do much. He pulled the whole "I'm sick, elder" card this week... And I thought I got frustrated with Parker when I had to wait a couple of minutes on him to get ready so we could go to practice and hangout and what not! But dayang! This was definitely a trial of my patience. I just felt like we only have a little bit of time in this area and we're sitting in the O's basement acting sick. I've been trying really hard to come up with ways to get him to get out of his shell and find a desire to work and then to grow in that but nothing so far seems to be working. So ya know how we're told that the Lord is in the details of our lives? Yup, it's true. I've been praying to find ways and here's what happens. I lose my voice this past weekend and it's still gone. Like I'm lucky if I can even get a whisper out. So for the past little while Elder Wengreen has discovered how it feels to talk! and to make phone calls! and to take initiative and do some work! It's pretty cool, he's growing ever so slightly but he's growing. I just think it's funny how the Lord needed me to just shut up for that to happen. Haha.
Mr. Sowaya is getting baptized this Saturday and I'm doing the halftime show! (the time after he get's baptized and changes until he comes back out). So I'm pumped to be able to be a part of that! It'll be a good journal entry! I went on exchanges with Elder Schmidt, another fellow Arizonian, and it was a lot of fun. I'll have you know, and you'd be proud to know, that it was on this exchange that I became a member of the Christian Coalition of Bikers Club. Haha, seriously I am. I got initiated and everything. We we're out visiting people and I saw a few guys outside of the house cleanin up their Harley's so we went over to talk to them and one thing let to another and bam, I'm a member! It was way neat to talk to them though because they were all Vets and were wanting to share their advice. They also said they respected us a lot for what we are doing and overall we just had a really good conversation with Big Rod, Skinny Mike, and Showtime David. I love making memories! Oh and we also have another baptism this week for G. and A. and I'm giving a talk at that too. They are the only people in their family who are religious so it's going to be quite the crowd! I was thinking a lot about where G. and A. were and how far they have come through trusting in God and placing their faith in Jesus Christ and His Atonement. I came across a poem that Boyd K. Packer used in one of his talks and I'm just going to share it with you because I <3 it!
’Twas battered and scarred, and the auctioneer
Thought it scarcely worth his while
To waste much time on the old violin,
But held it up with a smile:
“What am I bidden, good folks,” he cried,
“Who’ll start the bidding for me?”
“A dollar, a dollar”; then, “Two!” “Only two?
Two dollars, and who’ll make it three?
Three dollars, once; three dollars, twice;
Going for three—” But no,
From the room, far back, a gray-haired man
Came forward and picked up the bow;
Then, wiping the dust from the old violin,
And tightening the loose strings,
He played a melody pure and sweet
As a caroling angel sings.
The music ceased, and the auctioneer,
With a voice that was quiet and low,
Said, “What am I bid for the old violin?”
And he held it up with the bow.
“A thousand dollars, and who’ll make it two?
Two thousand! And who’ll make it three?
Three thousand, once, three thousand, twice,
And going, and gone!” said he.
The people cheered, but some of them cried,
“We do not quite understand
What changed its worth.” Swift came the reply:
“The touch of a master’s hand.”
And many a man with life out of tune,
And battered and scarred with sin,
Is auctioned cheap to the thoughtless crowd,
Much like the old violin.
A “mess of pottage,” a glass of wine,
A game—and he travels on.
He’s “going” once, and “going” twice,
He’s “going” and almost “gone.”
But the Master comes, and the foolish crowd
Never can quite understand
The worth of a soul and the change that’s wrought
By the touch of the Master’s hand.
- Myra Brooks Welch
I love this because I applied it to the people we are teaching as well as myself and I related that violin to me. I thought about when the strings are tightened I bet the violin might not enjoy that too much and it might hurt a little. I though about how much that Master cared for the violin that he wasn't about to let it go for way under what it's potential value is. Then I thought about where I'm at and where I want to be, who I want to be. I thought about all the strings that need to be tightened in my life and all the dust that needs brushed away. That's why I'm grateful for trials and lessons because it gives me an opporunity to let my Master take one of my strings and tighten it. I just can't wait till I sound like the violin when Parker plays it, rather than when I play it! I love you all and think about what strings you want our Master to tighten on you this next week and then let Him!
We have committed to work our bahooty's off this week so we will have some good stories for you next week of people we find, people we teach, and miracles that come with effort and faith! I love you all! Let me know if I can do anything for you!! Luv ya!
Elder Traasdahl
No comments:
Post a Comment