Welcome:

As you read this blog you will walk week by week with Elder Traasdahl as he takes one step at a time to teach the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ and testify that in addition to the Bible, The Book of Mormon is a Second Witness of Christ. Enjoy the journey of this LDS missionary through his first hand experience and through the eyes of his family and his twin missionary brother.


Tuesday, January 29, 2013

'All Star Weekend' in Arvada

What's up wid it pt cruizer!!! Hittin the DL already?!?! My main man! Haha but ayyyoooo yoyoyoyoyo family! This week was sweet. Lots and lots of memories made -- I have a 32 gig memory card that is pretty much filled up. I'm going to start with the updates from the Arvada 1st Ward All Star Weekend. Sweet name huh? Haha but okay so to begin. Larry, the guy I mentioned a few weeks ago? Yup, our main main was baptized this past Saturday! It was the coolest experience. There were five of us dressed in our whites in the font. I've never seen anything like it. It was Elder Wengreen and I, Elder Anderson, Elder Reiber, and Bishop Palmer from the 4th ward. Larry is large and has a bum knee so his leg has to stay straight. It was quite the struggle getting him through the not so handicap friendly doors and into the font but after a lot of scootin, and pushin, and grunting, and laughing at Larry's funny remarks we finally got him in the font. He sat on his rear end because he can't stand without a walker and even with a walker he can only stand for about 30 seconds. As it was time for him to go under he just leaned back to help submerged himself under the water, and then we helped pull him up. Then we started to get him out of the font. Throughout the entire ordeal you could tell Larry was hurting pretty bad and it was incredible to see the faith of this 65 year old man as he wasn't about to let anything stop him from partaking of one of the greatest gifts from our Father in Heaven. The spirit was so strong. So that was awesome.





Then later that day we had a wedding for G. and A. They were so nervous. Oh man, I can't wait to get married. It was hilarious, Bishop Bashford did the ceremony and G. and A. did great. It was so awesome to watch as they both exchanged vows and then said "I do" because it was pretty rough getting them to this point. Above all, I was reminded of the love that our Father in Heaven has for us and through our personal Savior Jesus Christ, we can accomplish wonders. We can become who we desire to be and more importantly we will become who God intends us to be. It was such a great time overall. The only dissapointment was that we aren't allowed to dance at weddings so I pretty much just sat and joked around with some of their family while sippin on G's famous "Purple Drank Kool-Aid." Oh funny story. We had our ward mission leader be the DJ. He kept playing the most incredibily boreing/nobody wants to listen to this songs and as a result not one person was dancing. Like seriously not one. So we went up there and pumped up the jam and requested some spanish latina classical guitar ay ay ay ay music and once the first song played everydy jumped out of there seats and we had a huge mexican fiesta on our hands. It was hilarious.


We had a couple of investistigators come to church on Sunday, although they aren't really progressing but it was awesome to see them there and we have a couple return appointments with them so we're pumped about that. To top off the All Star Weekend we had G., A., and their daughter's baptism on Sunday night. I am so grateful for the knowledge about the potential that we have to be with our families forever and that this is fulfilled by living the principles and ordinances of the Gospel that God gives to us as commandments. As I got to witness this family go down into the waters of baptism and make this convenant with God I was filled with happy happy feelings. That's basically the only way I can describe it. Just happy happy feelings. Elder Wengreen and I had the opportunity to speak at the baptsim during the 'half time show' as they were all drying off and getting dressed. We addressed the Plan of Salvation and what it means to us. How it gives us a purpose and reasons to be happy. It went great. Still trying to get comfortable talking in front of people but hopefully it will come over time! So that's what the weekend looked like. Sooooo awesome.

We had transfers yesterday and I got to see all my boys Elder Tofa, Baker, Wilson, Holliday, Reid, Haywood, & Litster. It was a blast. Here's the updates: I'm finishing training Wengreen in the first ward but we are going to be the only set of missionaries in this ward now. We are getting sisters in the district. We're still trying to turn the stigma of Arvada from being the "land of desolation" into the "land of paradise." Oh fetch I almost forgot the most important news! We moved & we're living with the D's now. We have the whole basement to ourselves. We are pumped for this next transfer!!

I was studying humility this week and I learned a lot. I learned that the essence of humility is being willing to submit to the will of our Lord and then to give Him the honor and glory for what we accomplished. As I was thinking about this I did a little personal inventory and tried to recognize areas where I am doing good regarding humility and then areas I could use some work on. It was kind of fun, try it out fam! I then looked to the greatest exemplar that has ever lived and I thought about my Savior's life. I thought about what he has done for me with Atoning for my sins and how hard that must have been. I've already accepted the fact that I'll never quite comprehend it perfectly but I feel 100,000,000% comfortable saying that was the hardest thing anybody has ever gone through. I then think about Him not wanting to go through with it but going through with it because that was Heavenly Father's will. Matt 26:39 and Mark 14:36. Not my will but thine be done. There's power in that phrase. Alrighty fam well once again this timer on the comp is not my friend. I loved your emails! They really do put a little pep in my step that helps me enthusiastically endure and serve throughout the rest of the week! I hope you guys are having a great day today and I hope you have a great day tomorrow and the next day and the next and the next and the next and the next until I get to hear from you and write to you again! love you all! Always remember we are imperfect, that's just the way it is. But we have a Lord who is perfect who can, will, and wants to help us through anything we want to accomplish! Love ya!


 
Elder Traasdahl

No comments:

Post a Comment