And mother dear and father man thanks so much for your letters this week. They made all the difference and I wish I could express how much they helped but there aren't enough words in the world. All I can say is that parents are truly inspired about how to raise their kids. Even if they are a few states away serving a mish.
Okay so this week was awesome. I've realized that attitude is everything and when you just decide to be happy, decide to find the good in the bad, decide to not get discouraged, then not unlike any other promise the Lord gives, we'll be happy. So needless to say I am happy happy happy. Here's the events that went down this week. We have 4 people set with May 11th as their baptism date. The first two are S. and N. We've dropped them in the past and then they came back. They went to church for the full three hours for the first time yesterday and loved it. Their kids went to primary and loved it and N. really enjoyed priesthood. We had a lesson on love and of course when you get a bunch of guys in there who think they know what love is then you get some pretty funny conversations. To sum it up I am now master of the 5 different love languages. They are getting married on April 27th in the church building and I ammmm so excited for that! I bought a three piece suit for 9 bucks at a thrift store to dress up for the occasion so don't be surprised when you see me with my swag turned on in the pics.
C. is another who we have set with May 11th and we actually just set her this past week. She has had soooooo much opposition through her searching. All of her friends and all of her family and ex-boyfriend's family have tried to take her off of the path of growing in her testimony. She commited to come to church next Sunday. Everytime we meet with her I just feel like she is prepared and still preparing to receive the gospel and to accept it therefore finding the fullest measure of peace and joy that she can in this life. It is just sooooooo frustrating to have these people do everything they can to figuratively push her off the path and kick her while she's down so she can't get back up. I'm just so grateful for the Spirit always testifying to her of the truth that we have to share so that she can have all of her doubts and concerns repaired and healed and get back on the path.
The last person we have on the path is a lady named D. It was with her this past week that I think I had the most powerful lesson. We went in there and she had some serious concerns and doubts about prophets on the earth today, Joseph Smith, and the Book of Mormon. We had a few moments in which I thought we lost her but as we had a prayer in our heart and listened to her, and discerned what she needed through the Spirit and addressed her concerns, responding with the Spiri,t we had some VERY powerful moments. It was awesome so see the application of Doctrine and Covenants 84:85. As we treasured up the words of life, the scriptures and principle of the gospel, and listened to her needs, we opened our mouths and watch as they were filled with the exact things that D. needed. She is a heavy smoker. Like a cigarette every 5-10 minutes. She was really worried about the word of wisdom but as we taught the principles and invited her to live it so that she could get baptized which she recognized over and over again that this is what she needs and this is what she wants- (these were some of the most powerful moments); we explained that the Word of Wisdom was a commandment of God. She showed one of the greatest acts of faith I've seen on the mission, given how addicted she is. We went around the house and threw away all of her pipe tobacco, her cigarettes, her ash trays, her garbages so she couldn't smoke the cigarette butts, her coffer, her tea and all of her lighters. She admitted that she would probably end up in the hospital because of her health issues and how severe her withdrawels would be. The whole time Elder McCullough and I were just beaming! It was so amazing. We shared with her Ether 12:27 which says something like "If men come unto me, I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may become humble and my grace is sufficient for all those who humble themselves before me. And if men humble themselves before me and have faith in me then they shall have eternal live." She ate that scripture up, but it's so true. We wouldn't learn and grow if we didn't have weaknesses.
(Here's Elder Traasdahl karate chopping the Word of Wisdom trash bag...)
As you can tell the work here is picking up! Having a positive attitude gives us the needed hope, joy, peace, patience, love to make it through this life with a smile on our faces. I think the biggest thing I learned this week was the power of our thoughts and attitude along with keeping ourselves in a position to keep ourselves in condition to recognize the promptings of the Holy Ghost. It was just a great week and we have an even greater week ahead of us as well as the rest of you. Continue to grow, continue to find peace and joy, continue to change lives around you with a smile. There is so much power behind a simple smile. It can do wonders for those who receive it. Thanks for everything you guys do and thanks especially for being steadfast in the work, steadfast in our family, and most importantly steadfast in Christ!
Doubt not, fear not.
Elder T Happy Happy Smiles All Day Every Day Traasdahl

No comments:
Post a Comment